Student Accounts

Your student account statement reflects the charges and payments at Southern Vermont College.  The student account statement is your bill, which is mailed monthly as long as there is activity or a balance due on your account. We view the maintenance of the student account statement as the student’s responsibility. Federal Law (the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act) and SVC policies affect the information that we can provide to parents. Therefore, it is the student who must initiate parent billing or request a refund. These requests need to be made in writing to the Office of Student Financial Services. We will cooperate with students and families to the fullest extent.

Office Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Mailing Address: Office of Student Financial Services, Southern Vermont College, 982 Mansion Drive, Bennington, VT 05201
Telephone: 802-447-6366
Fax: 802-447-6329

Tuition and Fees


Explanation of Fees
Student Health Insurance
– Is automatically charged to all students enrolled in at least one course at SVC, on a semester basis. If a student is covered by an outside insurance plan, they can waive SVC Student Health Insurance by filing an insurance waiver at Waivers must be filed by the first day of classes for the fall semester; a waiver must be filed each academic year. Please refer to the Student Health Insurance page for more information.

Student Activity Fee – The Student Activity fee is a mandatory fee charged to all students. This fee funds events, programs and services.

Enrollment Deposits are non-refundable.

Departments who may post charges to your account
Library Fines
SVC Library: 802-447-6036
It is important to pay overdue fines at the library when they are incurred. Please contact the Library with any questions about overdue library.

Parking Fines
SVC Director of Campus Safety: 802-447-6393
Call with questions on parking regulations and violations.

Conduct and Disciplinary Fines: 802-447-6323
SVC Student Life Office
Call with questions on conduct and disciplinary fines.

Housing/Dorm Damage Fines: 802-447-4013
SVC Director of Residence Life
Call with questions on dorm damage charges.

Information Technology Charges: 802-681-2848
SVC Director of Information Technology
Call for questions regarding IT charges.

Student Account Statement Credit Balance-Refund Policy
Refunds may only be requested by the student (student signature is required). The Refund Request Form is available through the Office of Student Financial Services, and the Student Accounts Forms Web page and must be completed in full before a refund will be processed. Illegible forms will not be processed. Refunds will be reviewed and processed only after the completed request form is received, and a credit balance appears on the student account statement. Please allow 2 weeks for refund processing, after the credit appears on the student account statement.

Although the Office of Student Financial Services processes refunds as quickly as possible, students should not plan on using their refund check to pay their rent or living expenses if living in an off-campus residence. The Office of Student Financial Services cannot guarantee that a refund check will be ready by a student's rent or bill deadlines.
For in-office pick-ups, refund checks are available weekdays from 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Students should direct any questions regarding the status of their refund check to

Refunds will only be issued to the student, with exception to those students who have Federal Parent PLUS loans, or TMS payment plans on account. In those instances refunds will first be issued to the holder’s of the PLUS Loan or TMS Payment Plan, but not exceeding the amount applied to the Student Account Statement.

Students who receive Federal Financial Aid: If a student should decide to withdraw  from class(es) after a semester begins, and have not completed more than 60% of the semester, can be subject to loss in Federal Funds. Please refer to the Financial Aid Office's section on refund calculations for more information. A withdrawal from class may result in a balance owed to SVC. It is the student’s responsibility to contact the Office of Student Financial Services to pay his/her balance due.

Questions regarding federal Pell, SEOG, Parent Plus loans, Federal Stafford loans, or alternative loans, should be directed to the Office of Student Financial Services.

Title IV Federal Student Aid Authorization
All students receiving Title IV Federal Student Aid (which includes: Federal Direct Stafford Loans, PLUS Loans, Pell Grants, and/or SEOG) are required to complete the Title IV Federal Student Aid Authorization form. Federal financial aid regulations require that we automatically refund, within 14 days, any credit balance which may be created when the Title IV aid is disbursed to your student account and it exceeds your semester charges. 

SVC offers the flexibility to maintain credit balances on the student account to pay for subsequent semester charges or to request a refund at a later date. What this means to you, the student, is that the credit balance will remain on account to cover charges outside of the normal tuition and fees, before a refund is issued. If you choose to not exercise this option, then the student will be responsible for paying fees, such as parking tickets, library fines, etc., out of pocket. The federal financial aid regulations allow SVC the ability to provide these options to you if we receive written authorization from the student (or parent in the case of PLUS loans). If you would like the ability to handle your Title IV funds this way, please complete and return the Title IV form to the Office of Student Financial Services. If you have a PLUS Loan, parent borrowers must sign the form separately. This form is included in your initial billing packet or can be found online in the Office of Student Financial Services section. 

Refund of Tuition, Room and Board
Students dismissed by the college during the semester for academic or disciplinary reasons are not eligible for a refund of tuition or room and board charge.

Refunds are based on the official Withdrawal Leave of Absence date (approved). Students who officially Withdraw or take a Leave of Absence are allowed a refund according to the schedule below*:

•    100% refunded from the first day of class through the last date of Add/Drop at 5:00 p.m.
•    75% refunded seven (7) calendar days after the Add/Drop date at 5:00 p.m.
•    50% refunded fourteen (14) calendar days after the Add/Drop date at 5:00 p.m.

On the 15th calendar day after Add/Drop there will be no refunds of Tuition or Room and Board charges.

Information regarding the Withdrawal/Medical Leave of Absence policy and procedures can be found in the College Catalogue.

*Approved medical withdrawal room and board refunds will follow the above refund schedule; however, tuition will be pro-rated.

Textbook Vouchers
Textbooks are the student’s responsibility. SVC offers textbook vouchers in order to help assist students with purchasing their textbooks in a timely manner. Students, whose pending financial aid is scheduled to exceed the charges on their account, are eligible for these vouchers. A textbook voucher can be requested by completing the Book Voucher form with the financial obligation worksheet prior to returning it to the Student Accounts Office. 

1098T Information
Information regarding the amounts shown on your 1098T is located on the back of the 1098T form. These amounts are reported to the I.R.S.
If you require more information regarding how much you paid to the College for tuition, you can request a Student Account summary from the Office of Student Financial Services.
SVC is unable to provide any information in regards to tax preparation, please refer to the I.R.S. Web site,, for more information.